Mucheke teen conned $400 over Chinese scholarship

0
154

By Wezhira Reporter 

A 19 year old school leaver from Mucheke high density suburb of Yeuaki lost $400 to a conmen after being promised a scholarship to study at a Chinese University, a Masvingo court heard Wednesday.
Godfrey Muza 47 who is not employed plaeded not guilty to fraud charges when he appeared before Magistrate Peter Madhibha.
He was remanded in custody to 18 August for trial.
Prosecutor Edmond Mapope told the court that some time in January this year Wright Zhou told the accused that he had 6 subjects he obtained when he sat for his orndiray level examination and wanted to further his education abroad.
Court heard that in return Muza told the young man that he was in contact with an agent working at the Chinese embassy who was able to facilitate for a scholarship for Zhou to study in China.
Court was told that Muza then demanded $200 for precosseing the application which Zhou paid after believing the facts he had been told .
Five days later, the court heard that Muza made another misrepresentation to Zhou that he had secured the scholarship and the two should travel to the Chinese embassy in Harare for an entrance test.
Court was told that Zhou funded the trip and when they arrived at the Chinese embassy, Muza entered the building and left his victim seated at the reception and returned minutes later before asking the boy a further $200 which he claimed was for processing a medical report and some finger prints.
Zhou paid the money and was told all was now in order and the two should return to masvingo as the embassy was going to contact him later.
Zhou discovered he was duped when he made a follow up on his application at the Chinese embassy after a prolonged time without any communication from the Embassy officials before filing a police report

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here